Sunday 16 June 2013

losing something dear

I lost my diamond.

The beautiful engagement ring Darnell gave me nearly 7 years ago now has a gaping hole where the shiny rock used to sit. Oh, what a sad thing. I have cried over the loss of my most-loved earthly possession. But I have also shed tears of thankfulness.

As we frantically searched for my diamond in our hotel lobby and restaurant, Cody followed me everywhere, asking me over and over if I was okay. He told me the kuyas would find it later and give it to me. He told me he would find it for me. He asked me if I was sad. And then he gave me his new playmobil motorcycle (which he LOVES and has not parted with since we bought it) and told me I could have it and that it would make me feel better. He stayed by my side. When I finally convinced him that I was okay, he enthusiastically exclaimed, “I think she’s okay now!” and ran off to play with his friends. I am so thankful for this sweet boy.

Later in the evening, after we had given up the search and Makai was in bed, Darnell and I went out on a date (thank you Reg, once again!). We talked about the day Darnell proposed. We talked about how we’ve changed since that time. We talked about our boys. We talked about our year here so far, and how fast it has gone by. We talked about how incredibly happy we are together- how we are so grateful for each other, every day, all the time. I could not be more thankful for this man of mine and the journey we are on together.

Darnell has often said that he’s never going to buy me another diamond and that if he were to do it again, he’d have bought me something different. When he tells people this I always laugh and just say how thankful I am that he didn’t read about the unethical diamond industry before he bought me one! I loved my ring- it was just perfect. I still admired it all the time. And he sold his motorcycle to buy it for me because he loved me. This young tree planter, ready to explore the world with a woman he didn’t want to lose, designed something beautiful and valuable for me. And I cherished it dearly.

Perhaps one day I’ll get another diamond. Maybe on our 60th wedding anniversary, like when my Opa gave my dear Oma her first diamonds. For now, I know that we cannot spend any money on a rock, as there are far too many more important and valuable ways to spend our (little) savings.

But… I feel so thankful. After losing our home a couple weeks ago and being so afraid for our life, this is yet another reminder that my true gems in life are this man and these two boys. I am incredibly blessed.



ps. I wanted to post a picture from the day we got engaged, but our old pictures are saved on a hard-drive in our house, which we still haven't been able to enter since that first time, 4 days after the explosion :(  

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your diamond, but what a beautiful reflection on your experience. You and your family are precious gems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom lost her diamond when my parents moved, around five years after their marriage - I would have been just a little older than Cody. I don't remember it, but I imagine the experience was similar to yours...

    My parents never had a lot of money, and raising five kids was always the priority. She always kept the band though, so I know it was important to her.

    On my parents 25th wedding anniversary, Dad surprised her with a new ring, almost identical to her old one. He'd been saving for it for a long time... it was pretty incredible to see how excited she was!

    I'm sorry that you lost it, but I'm so glad that it prompted the discussions you guys had. Life is such an adventure, and having a great partner to share it with makes everything so much better. Carlye and I have always looked up to you, and we can't wait to see you again this summer. Hope you get to move into somewhere stable, and get your pictures back soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this Jordan. So cool that your mom got a good surprise on her 25th wedding anniversary! Looking forward to seeing you guys soon!!!!
      Christina

      Delete
  3. Hi, Christina: Sorry for your loss. Alma lost her bands in our third year of marriage. We were on a trip to England with Peter Andres (not yet married). We were nearing Blackpool, when Alma started to work on her hands and put the rings in her lap. Suddenly we were at the ocean in that city and all of us climber out the explore. The sights and sounds of the place just took over. After another 100 miles of travel she noticed that the rings were gone. We called the police - no one turned them in. A simple band had to do for a while. We still have that.
    In Amsterdam, a few weeks later, we were given a tour of a diamond polishing and trading place - and the stone was replaced for a fraction of what it would have cost here in the Valley.
    Blessings on your day. Peter Bartel - a cousin to your dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this story! I'm thankful I can still wear my wedding band!
      Christina

      Delete